CED-IADR Summer School 2020
'ASSESSMENT OF DENTAL MATERIALS WITH INVASIVE AND NONINVASIVE METHODS'
May 11-15, 2020 | LEIPZIG, GERMANY
The ‘CED-IADR Summer School’ program aims to give young investigators the opportunity to learn new research techniques and to establish professional relations with other European researchers.
This 1-week training course can only be followed by CED-IADR members.
During this course, participants had few theoretical lectures directly linked to understanding the investigation methods employed. The major and most important focus of the course was to give participants the possibility to practice research techniques by themselves with the idea of applying these investigation methods in their own research projects at their home university laboratories.
- Be a present member of the CED-IADR
- Not be older than 35 years at the time of application
- Sufficient English level
- Preference will be given to members that did not yet attend a CED-IADR Summer School and are from the CED-IADR area
Registration for the CED-IADR Summer School is free of charge!
It is for CED-IADR members only.
Attendees have to cover their own housing/travel expenses.
Workshop I: Optical Methods
- Confocal scanning laser microscopy and roughness measurements (surface analysis and roughness)
- Micro- and macroscopic digital imaging (equipment, 2D/3D recording, lightening)
- Image processing (open source programs, batch conversion, size handling)
- 2D/3D image analysis and automatization (working with ImageJ, 2D/3D visualization, spatially-resolved analysis)
Workshop II: Mechanical Properties
- Sample preparation (mounting, cutting, grinding)
- Deformation measurement (sensor techniques, standard regulations, strength and elastic module)
- Hardness testing (macro / micro hardness)
- Fatique testing (thermocycling, acid resistance, chewing & toothbrush simulation)
Workshop III: Tooth-restoration bond – micro-morphological evaluation
- Sample preparation (teeth cleaning, fixation, dehydration, drying, embedding, mounting and sectioning, sputter coating)
- Light and scanning electron microscopy (assessment of tooth-restoration bond, microleakage,
interaction features, nanoleakage)
- Digital Analysis (qualitative / quantitative analysis of tooth-composite interaction, statistical evaluation)
Workshop IV: Non-invasive 2D/3D-imaging in vitro and in vivo
- X-ray microtomography (imaging of hard tooth substances, carious lesions and tooth-colored restorations analysis visualization (2D/3D), statistical analysis)
- Optical coherence tomography (imaging of hard tooth substances, carious lesions and tooth-colored restorations; visualization (2D/3D), statistical analysis, in vitro / in vivo, Adhesive technique: Conditioning, adhesive layering, composite shrinkage, interfacial gap formation, restoration imperfections)
Four groups will be formed from the 16 participants and allotted to a total of four workshops; two workshops will be organized by each of the two departments. Each workshop includes a theoretical introduction of approximately 1 h and an approx. 5 h hands-on part (not including breaks). The scientific staff will be supported by technical assistants to guarantee adequate and effective supervision and support.
The scientific staff of the Department of Prosthodontics and Materials Science and the Department of Cariology, Endodontology and Periodontology is experienced in the scientific analysis of dental materials and the staff has published in excess of 100 papers in pertinent journals.
Prof. Dr. Sebastian Hahnel and Dr. Dipl.-Ing. Andreas König will be responsible for the organization of the Summer School 2020 for the Department of Prosthetic Dentisty and Dental Material Science, and Prof. Dr. Rainer Haak, Dr. Ellen Schulz-Kornas and Dr. Hartmut Schneider will be responsible for the organization in the Department of Cariology, Endodontology and Periodontology.
Accommodation in Leipzig
There are plenty and numerous affordable accommodation facilities in walking distance to the Dental School, including for instance:
- Hotel am Bayrischen Platz (1 min to Dental School, 10 min to city centre) 75 EUR
- Ibis Budget Leipzig City (15 min to Dental School, 1 min to city centre) 40 EUR
- Mercure Hotel Leipzig Johannisplatz (5 min to Dental School and/or city centre) 60 EUR
- Days Inn Leipzig City Center (5 min to Dental School, 10 min to city centre) 50 EUR
Moreover, numerous hostels with even cheaper rates are also available: www.german.hostelworld.com. Most of these hostels are located in the city center of Leipzig, which is in walking distance to the Dental School.
For practical reasons, the number of attendees will be limited to maximum 16.
Candidates must be a CED-IADR member!
Please APPLY HERE no later than Feb 29, 2020.
The CED-IADR secretariat will inform the candidates mid-March 2020 on their acceptance. CED-IADR has the right to cancel the summer school in case of insufficient participation.